Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Little Discussion of my Goals


I let things get in my head way too much. Little things that don't necessarily mean anything will drive me crazy and morph into wild situations where people despise me and all they want is to be rid of me. Sometimes I find there's an inkling of truth to my insanity, but that it isn't accurate in that crazy way I let it get in my mind. That place where I'm 10 years old again and running home crying because I literally have no friends.

Like I said. I let things get in my head too much.

Just yesterday, I got a fortune cookie that told me, "You will make a change for the better." I think that this 21.5.800 project could be the key to that. I want to use it as time to be introspective, to really assess myself, and to work toward improving myself physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. So I think that this time, for once, my fortune cookie will prove true.


I've recently been reading a book by Tony Schwartz, the man behind The Energy Project. This project is all about balancing our energy instead our time, as is so commonly the goal of the individual. While this is already extremely worthwhile to me as a concept, the most fascinating aspect of Tony Schwartz and the Energy Project is the fact that it brings together studies from many various areas in order to form one coherent way in which we can work to energize ourselves:

The principles at the heart of this book grow out of a rich body of research across disciplines ranging from nutrition to cognition; strength training to training strengths; emotional self-regulation to the role of the right hemispheere of the brain; extrinsic to intrinsic motivation." (The Way We're Working Isn't Working pg. 11)

But this isn't some self-help book - this is a book focused on business and the workplace. It helps the reader gain a balance in the different kinds of energies in their life in order to be more balanced and efficient in the workplace.

If you aren't me, there's a good chance you think this sounds extremely boring. But hear me out on this one. How many hours a week do we spend at work? I don't know about you, but I spend a minimum of 45 hours a week in the office. Sometimes quite a lot more, depending on how much work I have to get through and how much energy I have remaining. Recently, all I want to do is leave the office the second I hit 8 hours. I remember a time when I would work 10 hour days just for the heck of it so I could get that OT in and make some extra money. So why is it that I can't keep up my energy like I used to?

That is the question I'm hoping to answer by reading The Way We're Working Isn't Working and by following through with 21.5.800.

One thing I hope to improve in my performance at work is my motivation toward completing my tasks. While I enjoy my job and feel rewarded for the efforts I put forth, it still isn't exactly what I want to do with my life. It's a step on the right path, but I'm not there yet. So, in addition to the self-reflection I hope to accomplish with my writing in the coming weeks, I have decided to start writing articles for my company's blogs. I've been speaking with our Social Networking Manager about what he plans to do with the blogs and I have been re-reading a number of the previous entries to get an idea of where to start. I have some ideas and even a few beginnings already. Now all I need is a small backlog so I can share them with the right people at the right time. Who knows? Maybe it'll even afford me the opportunity to move back into the specific position that I crave so much! It could be the perfect way to show the company how driven I am toward achieving my goal and how well I can accomplish the task.

Either way, we'll see what happens. I'm just excited to continue working to achieve my goals in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment