Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Finding Mr. Darcy Didn't Work Out As Anticipated

I know I said my next post would be about my plans while I'm in the UK, but that will have to wait until next time. Right now I have something even more important to talk about - Mr. Darcy.

Oh yes! I'm referring to the glorious fictional hot piece of ass that is Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pemberley. Before I get further into this, allow me to display a few samples of the modern actors who have portrayed Darcy and stolen so many modern hearts.
Colin Firth - See how nicely he glows here?
Eliot Cowan - Mmm...
Matthew Macfadyn doing Darcy justice!

Okay, I have a thing for Colin Firth and Eliot Cowan in wet shirts. The best part is that when Eliot Cowan's Darcy gets wet, it was 100% a reference to Colin Firth's wet shirt moments in the A&E mini-series that is one of the most watched versions of the Pride and Prejudice story. Mmm....

Ha! Sorry. Was drooling a little bit there.


So what exactly is it about the character of Mr. Darcy that tugs at the heart strings of so many women (myself most absolutely included)? What gets me most is the fact that Elizabeth straight hated him at first. She got all the wrong impressions of him from insincere sources (*cough*Wickham*cough*) and he was not exactly being his best self as he got caught up in the intrigue of what he considered to be his friend's welfare. It was as she came to know him better (and after thoroughly abusing him to his face) that she came to feel deeply for him and their true love story was cemented.

While I, and so many other women the world over, just sort of wish that someday my "Mr. Darcy" will come into my life, I honestly don't anticipate it working that way. For one thing, I'm a little scared of having that initial negative reaction to someone potentially meant to be my paramour. What if I do or say something entirely too nasty that, when it comes out later, could ruin future bliss? As for the rest, all I really care about is finding someone to be with for the rest of my life. I don't really care if I like them or not at the beginning, as long as I love them in the end.

Now for the twist in the story! I have encountered a number of "Mr. Darcy's", but not quite in the future bliss sort of way. I have learnt that most of the friends I find myself closest with start out as people I'm not overly fond of. Whatever the reason may be, I sometimes just don't particularly like some people. Just a fact of life, I guess. On occasion, I get to know these people better and end up really enjoying their company! I'm not going to name any names of friends, but most of the people who fit into this category have been made aware of the fact at some point in time.

So, while I'm not going to hold my breath for a romantic "Mr. Darcy" to come into my life, at least I can rest easy with the knowledge that I already have the acquaintance of others dashing around my life!

1 comment:

  1. I look really good in a wet white dress shirt...

    ReplyDelete